Do you want your reports to be clear, concise and polished? This highly practical online session will give you the skills to create reports that are readable, well-structured and effective.
It’s interactive – so you’ll be able to comment, share challenges and ask questions. After the training, you’ll receive the presentation and other useful resources. You can also choose follow-up support: send us a sample of your writing and get it edited by a professional editor.
If you’re interested in training for a team or group of staff, please get in touch to discuss how we can create a bespoke session for you.
After this course, participants will feel confident they can:
- Create reports that deliver written messages successfully
- Build a clear plan, to speed up the process
- Write effectively to achieve objectives
Part 1: Clear thinking leads to clear writing
- How to manage writing reports remotely – using collaboration with colleagues
- Tools: Flesch reading ease scale and a style guide
- Define your purpose and identify your target audience(s)
- Step-by-step guide to planning an effective report or thesis
- Create an effective objective – using a template
- Create a detailed outline, using a skeleton structure
- Edit the outline, focusing on content and structure
- Write a first draft quickly
Part 2 – Writing effectively: Use strong clear English to meet objectives
- Write in a suitable style and tone of voice for your target audience(s)
- Make complex information clear and concise:
- Make every word count / cut dead wood
- Take care with jargon, technical terms, ‘business speak’ etc.
- Use strong, precise, active verbs
- Create effective sentences and paragraphs
- Use headings, bullet lists and topic sentences for navigation
- Use layout to engage readers
Before the course
We ask participants to complete an online questionnaire about objectives, writing experience and issues they would like to cover.
Download the outline: Writing Effective Reports_Webinar
Please contact us for further details.