In today’s business world, the ability to express yourself clearly, concisely and effectively in writing is an essential feature of the job – but how can you be sure your emails, letters and reports are all effective? Would you like your writing to get noticed for all the right reasons – because it’s strong, clear, concise and polished?
Live online training in business writing skills
The aim of this highly practical session is to show you how to create clear, concise, polished communications. You can apply these skills and techniques to all types of writing, such as reports, web content, brochures, manuals and customer emails.
This two-hour online session is interactive – so participants will be able to share challenges and ask questions. After the training, you’ll receive the presentation and other useful resources. You can also choose follow-up support: send us a sample of your writing and get it edited by a professional editor.
If you’re interested in training for a group of staff, please get in touch to discuss how we can create a bespoke session.
After this course, participants will feel confident they can:
- Deliver written messages successfully
- Build a clear plan, to speed up the process
- Write effectively to achieve objectives
Part 1: Clear thinking leads to clear writing
- How to manage writing remotely – using collaboration with colleagues
- Use the Flesch readability test
- Step-by-step guide to planning
- Create an effective objective – using a template
- Create a detailed outline, using a skeleton structure
- Edit the outline, focusing on content and structure
Part 2 – Writing effectively: Use strong clear English to meet objectives
- Write in a suitable style and tone of voice for your target audience(s)
- Present information with impact – create reports etc. that look accessible and readable
- Make complex information clear and concise:
- Make every word count / cut dead wood
- Take care with jargon, technical terms, ‘business speak’ etc.
- Use strong, precise, active verbs
- Create effective sentences and paragraphs
- Use signposts (headings, bullet lists, frontloading) for accessibility
Before the training
We ask participants to complete a short questionnaire about objectives, writing experience and issues they would like to cover.
Download the outline: Business Writing for Greater Impact
Please contact us for more details.