We're all writing more than ever before – but how effective are your letters, emails and reports? This highly practical course provides a comprehensive introduction to the principles and practice of using plain English (or clear English) in business writing.
For financial institutions: this course will provide your staff with the skills to write plain English that will comply with the Central Bank's Consumer Protection Code.
Using plain English will ensure that all your target audience will get your message - but it doesn't mean 'dumbing down'; it means writing in an appropriate style and tone. Writing clearly and concisely will help you to achieve the results you need, no matter who your audience is.
This course is particularly effective when it's customised for a specific objective, team or department and content is based on authentic material from your organisation.
Learn how to:
- Feel confident that your writing will achieve your objectives
- Write effectively for your target audience
- Use a professional polished style
- Use layout to 'hook' readers who scan
- Plan logically, using a skeleton structure
- Avoid jargon, over-formal language and 'business-speak'
- KISSSS – keep it short, simple, strong and sincere
- Explain complex topics clearly
- Write concisely by cutting dead wood
- Avoid common errors of grammar and punctuation
- Achieve consistency in style and tone of voice
- Write as a team (on request)
Who should attend? It's suitable for anyone who would like to increase their confidence and ability to plan, write and edit effective reports, letters and emails.